Ontario Centres of Excellence (OCE), in partnership with the Ministry of Economic Development and Growth (MEDG), will host the third Social Enterprise Zone and Pitch Competition at Discovery 2017 on May 15 and 16.
Twenty-four Ontario-based companies will be invited to exhibit their social innovation on the Discovery show floor. This will build broader awareness of the companies that exist in this niche market, provide exposure to potential private investors, and engage the entire innovation ecosystem.
Successful applicants will receive a complimentary 6×8 foot booth, two attendee passes, and travel costs covered if outside the GTA. This exclusive opportunity gives you access to experts, industry, government funders, investors, engaging keynote speakers, fascinating panel discussions, networking opportunities and an opportunity for face-to-face meetings with sector experts.
As well, the Pitch Competition will provide a platform for five- eight of the showcase companies to pitch during Discovery for a $25,000 award, including a $10,000 award from MEDG, a $5,000 award from the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and a $10,000 legal-services package from Norton Rose Fulbright to assist with the further development of their business. Participation in the Pitch Competition is completely optional. However, we encourage any business applying for the Social Enterprise Zone to consider this incredible opportunity to further expand the development of your company.
- We are looking for early and growth stage, Ontario-based social enterprise ventures that meet the following criteria:
- Incorporated: Canadian Incorporated for-profit, not for-profit or cooperative organizations
- Revenue: Currently generating revenue with a growth-oriented scalable business model
- Impact: Demonstrable, measurable social/environmental impact in sectors including, but not limited to, clean technology, health and wellness, education and social technology, food and consumer products and impact real estate
- Capital: Companies should have raised in the past, or are planning to raise investment capital within the next 6-12 months