Blueprint: Affordable Housing
October 15 & 22, 2016 @ Seneca College, Markham 8, The Seneca Way, Markham, ON
What is Blueprint?
Blueprint, an element of the communityBUILD program, is an annual two-day ‘design lab’ workshop utilizing human-centred design processes to address a social issue affecting York Region. In its first year, participants will be presented with affordable housing challenges and asked to design sustainable solutions to address one of the challenges. Each year, a new local priority, such as youth unemployment or food insecurity, will be selected as the focus. We’re looking for passionate, creative individuals to take part in this purposeful event. Participants will be supported by experts in community housing, open data and design thinking.
What to Expect:
- A 2-day workshop to develop sustainable ideas addressing the issue of affordable housing in York Region.
- Work in a team of like-minded individuals with unique backgrounds and skill levels.
- On Day 1, three affordable housing challenges will be identified; teams will select one challenge to address and work together to framework potential solutions.
- Between Day 1 and Day 2, further develop one idea with your team remotely or in person.
- On Day 2, you’ll work on prototyping your solution and pitch your idea to judges.
- One top idea will be selected from each challenge and awarded a spot in communityBUILD’s three-month incubator to bring the idea to life!
- Participants are encouraged to bring their laptops and devices, although it is not mandatory.
- Work with superstar mentors who will help you throughout the process and challenge you to think bigger.
- Develop ideas that will address the issue of affordable housing in York Region and help shape what affordable housing in York Region will look like in 3 years.
- Hear and learn from inspirational speakers.
- The opportunity to participate in a 3-month incubator for the 3 selected ideas/teams to further develop the solution.
- Applications Due: October 6, 2016
- Blueprint Day 1: October 15, 2016
- Blueprint Day 2: October 22, 2016
- 3-month Incubator: Dates TBD
Who Should Apply
Blueprint is open to all skill levels and backgrounds. We encourage innovators, entrepreneurs, developers, subject matter experts, students, social intrapreneurs, and anyone who wants to make a positive impact to join us for Blueprint.
How to Apply:
- Fill out the application form by October 6, 2016 at http://www.venturelab.ca/Blueprint
Blueprint: Affordable Housing is an initiative developed in partnership with ventureLAB, Seneca College, York University, and United Way Toronto & York Region.